Augusta, Antonina, Nova Roma, Byzantion, Byzantium, Constantinople and finally Istanbul… These exciting names reminds the mysterious and enchanting past of the city. Istanbul can be considered as the combination of the old and modern city, as well as Islamic and Mediterranean mixture of cultures in a captivating atmosphere. There are only few cities in the world that can be so delightful to experience and enjoy as Istanbul.
A quick look at Istanbul’s features
- more than 8,500 years of history,
- capital of 3 glorious empires, the Roman, Byzantine and Ottoman Empires,
- a magical composition of two continents, two Worlds, the East and the West,
- Islamic and Mediterranean mixture of cultures in a captivating atmosphere,
- population of more than 15 million,
- one of world’s main air traffic hubs with 2 international airports,
- 5th most visited city in the world,
- 2010 European Capital of Culture,
- 2012 European Capital of Sport,
- one of world’s leading congress destination,
- connecting 2 continents; Europe and Asia,
- more than 75 museums,
- more than 100 lively shopping malls, and 4 historic bazaars,
- 5 imperial palaces, and many summer palaces, pavilions and mansions,
- huge transportation network of metro, subway, tram, buses, ferries, sea-buses, etc,
- 4 seasons throughout the year.
Istanbul – a welcoming city
Istanbul is a magical composition of two continents. And especially the Bosphorus, Istanbul Strait will cheer up your hearts. Aside from being the largest and most popular city of Turkey, Istanbul is also the biggest cultural and financial center of Turkey. Istanbul is considered to be the bridge that links Asia with Europe from a cultural and geographical standpoint.
Istanbul is located partly in Asia and the other part in Europe. Its geographical position as well as its rich history are responsible for a fascinating melting pot of cultures. Tourists are flocking to experience this magical city full of contrasts for themselves, making it the 5th most popular tourist destination in the world.
Istanbul offers an unforgettable experience for its travelers, with its colorful daily city life and dynamic nightlife. The beautiful silhouette of the city combines historical sites and monuments such as Roman aqueducts, Byzantine churches, Venetian towers, Ottoman palaces from the Byzantine, Ottoman and Turkish periods.
And the skyline covers monumental minarets with skyscrapers and plazas. And especially the Historical Peninsula and the Bosphorus will make you deeply fall in love with the city.
Istanbul is also one of the most lively metropolises in the world (having more than 15 million residents) that offers variety of intercontinental events, international film, music and theater festivals, international biennials, and more than 80 museums and many art galleries showcase all the culture, arts and history; including painting, sculpture, photography and more.